First-time cat proprietor information in Singapore
Nothing a lot must be stated about cats: the web loves them, and so can we. They’re fluffy, alien-like, and full of character, so it’s no marvel many Singaporeans need them as companions. Whether or not you’re ready until you get your personal place to have your personal furbaby, or are merely on the lookout for a pet that’s worthy of web memes, this first-time cat proprietor information is for you.
From buying necessities to cat-proofing your house, right here’s what you’ll be getting your self into:
In the event you’re an aspiring cat particular person, learn these:
- Cat care ideas
- Cat-themed outlets
- Cat-themed house decor objects
Ought to I get a kitten or a cat?
Kittens – under 1 12 months previous
For a lot of, kittens could also be the popular path to go – in any case, they’re simpler to coach and assimilate with different pets. As their personalities are nonetheless creating, they might even be extra appropriate for households with children or for first-time pet house owners.
They’re nonetheless “infants” themselves, so that you’ll have to dedicate a little bit extra care and a spotlight in the direction of them. They’ll require litter field coaching and vet visits to get them vaccinated and dewormed. Kittens may also be educated to get used to issues cats notoriously hate like taking baths and trimming nails.
You’ll need to get them neutered at round 4-6 months of age. At this age, kittens that aren’t sterilised will yowl loudly, pee round the home, try to flee, and may even get aggressive and stressed as they seek for a mate.
P.S. Homeowners are usually not really helpful to permit their cats to breed as it might have an effect on their well being, trigger out-of-control native cat inhabitants, and circumstances of abandonment. Neutering them additionally helps to maintain their hormones regulated, which permits them to stay a extra stress-free life.
Cats – 1 12 months previous onwards
In relation to bringing a brand new pet into your house, grownup cats are arguably on the much less widespread finish of the size. Not like kittens, cats are likely to have extra developed personalities, and should require extra endurance to coach in the event that they’re already set of their methods.
Picture credit score: @jaymeetheragdoll
However this doesn’t imply that grownup cats don’t make equally loving companions. For instance, a cat that had been beforehand abused or deserted might change from being timid and aloof to cuddly and playful if paired with the best family.
What cat breed ought to I get?
We’re all for the #adoptdontshop motion, however some households might go for pedigree cats for particular character traits. These could also be extra appropriate for first-time house owners or these with children.
Listed here are a few of the commonest cat breeds in Singapore:
- Ragdoll: Quiet, playful, dog-like, likes to comply with house owners round
- British Shorthair: Affectionate, calm, will comply with you round
- Persian: Calm lap cats, laid again, might require greater upkeep
- Maine Coon: Affectionate, playful, dog-like, follows house owners round
- Bengal: Energetic, inquisitive
- Munchkin: Energetic, clever
- Ragamuffin: Docile, identified to be lap cats, affectionate
Bengal cat Picture credit score: Wikipedia
After all, native cats – generally known as home shorthairs – and blended breed cats may also possess these character traits. You might need to prepare for a face-to-face session with the kitty you’re eyeing earlier than committing to it. It will enable you gauge for those who can gel along with your pet-to-be – type of like courting earlier than marriage.
The place to get a cat in Singapore
Adopting a cat
It goes with out saying that there are all the time cats and kittens in Singapore that want properties, so animal-lovers would advocate potential house owners to think about adopting over shopping for.
Picture credit score: @luvkuching
Listed here are some locations the place you can begin your search:
- SPCA: Charges from $25 – $200 relying on age and breed. Covers vaccination, sterilisation, deworming, microchipping and registration.
- Love Kuching Venture: Charge of $65.
- Kitten Sanctuary: Charge of $80.
- Causes for Animals: Charges from $100 – $150. Covers vaccination, deworming, flea and tick remedy and microchipping.
- Venture Luni: No adoption charges, however adoption donations are inspired. Covers vet checks, deworming and vaccination.
- Animal Lovers League: No adoption charges.
There are additionally teams the place rescuers and fosterers typically submit adoption notices. Adoption charges normally differ relying on the fosterer and whether or not a kitty has required intensive vet remedies, grooming and lodging. These ought to price not more than $150, but when they do, fosterers ought to present receipts for these.
Picture credit score: @catwelfaresociety
Adoption teams and pages:
- Cat Welfare Society
- Venture SOKS
- Kitten | Cat Adoption Sg
- Cats Adoption Singapore
When adopting a cat, be ready to count on home visits from fosterers, and supply proof that your house is cat-proofed. These necessities are normally in place to guard the welfare of the cat and to make sure that adopters are able to make a lifelong dedication for these cats.
Observe: Keep away from selecting any ol’ cat off the road. These could also be neighborhood cats with devoted feeders they usually might have issue adapting to a life indoors.
Shopping for a cat
In the event you’re on the lookout for a particular cat breed, chances are you’ll need to search out catteries that help and apply moral breeding.
Authentic breeders ought to possess a sound Animal Veterinary Service (AVS) license, and can solely promote you pets with a clear invoice of well being. These cats also needs to be sterilised, microchipped and vaccinated, and include a contract settlement to make sure they’re well-taken care of and to keep away from abuse or misappropriation.
Breeders also needs to be capable of present proof that their breeding cats go for normal vet checkups and are wholesome. Legally-bred cats can price anyplace from $1,000 and above relying on breed and pedigree lineage.
TheSmartLocal obtained Pika from Playground Ragdolls Picture credit score: @pikatheragdoll
A great way to suss out legit breeders is to hitch Fb teams for the precise cat breed you’re on the lookout for. Ask round to see if the cattery you’re is respected.
Keep away from shopping for cats from yard breeders (BYB) – a.okay.a. unlawful breeders with out licences. They normally promote purebred or blended breed cats at a way more inexpensive worth under $1,000. However these cats normally don’t have a veterinary historical past, are usually not neutered, and are offered as very younger kittens under 3 months previous.
Pet outlets might also have kittens and cats on the market, however all the time verify if they’ve related paperwork comparable to certs and medical historical past for his or her cats.
Cat-proofing your house
“Cat-proofing” is a phrase you’ll hear so much when you begin your seek for your kitty companion.
The very first thing you’ll have to do earlier than bringing your cat house is to securely mesh all of your home windows and balconies. Cats are extremely curious and have the flexibility to scale excessive ledges with zero worry. Sadly they’re fairly clumsy too – many cats die from falling off high-rise buildings, so meshing your house is a should.
Picture credit score: @kobe.and.mochi
Keep away from flimsy mesh like mosquito netting or magnetic mesh that may simply be ripped off by your cat. Put money into sturdy ones or rent an expert to put in it – all the time tug the mesh arduous to see if it’s safe sufficient. Grills are additionally another, however they need to have gaps between 1 – 2 inches in order that your cat can not squeeze out.
Different methods to cat-proof your house:
- Make sure the crops you may have are usually not toxic to cats, in case they chew on them. Frequent ones are aloe vera and snake crops.
- Safe valuable belongings inside lockable cupboards as cats love to leap onto excessive surfaces and cabinets.
- Preserve free wires out of attain as cats might chew on them.
- Shield your furnishings by shopping for numerous scratching posts and cat timber on your cats. There are deterrents like sprays and sticky tape you’ll find at pet shops, however these are usually not 100% efficient.
P.S. Keep away from letting your cat roam open air. It might get into fights with strays, breed, trigger complaints from neighbours, catch diseases and parasites, or just go lacking.
Buying guidelines on your first cat
Picture credit score: @nekojam
In the event you’re bringing a cat house for the primary time, you’ll have to replenish on some necessities. Right here’s a breakdown of the estimated prices:
- Litter field: From $15. Get not less than one litter field per cat.
- Cat litter: From $7.45/5KG. Litter costs rely on sort and amount.
- Cat meals: From $0.80/packet of moist meals; from $6.50/1.2KG of dry meals. Costs rely on amount, sort and model.
- Bowls: ~$10. Chrome steel or glass bowls are greatest for hygiene.
- Cat provider: From ~$30.
- Scratching posts and cat timber: Costs differ relying on design. Prices a mean of $30 for fundamental ones.
- Cat toys: ~$4 for teasers.
- Deshedding brush: From $20. To restrict hairballs and shedding.
Get a water fountain to encourage fussy cats to drink extra water
- Water fountain: From $30. Cats favor to drink operating water so it’s good to spend money on a fountain.
- Cat treats: From ~$1.50/packet. Can be utilized with interactive toys or to coach them to do easy methods.
- Nail clipper for cats: From ~$5. To trim cats’ nails.
- Cat shampoo: From ~$8/500ML. For the occasional tub.
- Cage: Value varies in keeping with dimension and sort. Ought to solely be for non permanent use with a layered backside so your cat doesn’t need to stroll and lay uncomfortably on grills.
You will get most of these things from bodily pet shops like Pet Lovers Centre or any grocery store. Else, there are many on-line pet shops which supply aggressive costs and an intensive vary of pet provides.
Cat upkeep – how a lot it prices and learn how to take care of them
Cats are comparatively low upkeep pets. Not like canines, they don’t require common baths, going out for walks, or strict coaching.
There are solely two objects you’ll have to usually replenish on while you personal a cat: meals and litter. These prices differ relying on what model and sort of product you select. In the event you go for inexpensive manufacturers that you’ll find at supermarkets, your month-to-month price might be as little as ~$15 per cat for a 5KG bag of litter and a 1.2KG bag of dry meals.
However in fact, cat house owners are really helpful to have a mixture of dry and moist cat meals with good diet to keep away from well being issues. Meals with higher diet typically prices extra (~$50/month), however your cat’s well being is price it!
Cats don’t actually require baths, however it’s really helpful to brush their fur usually. Picture credit score: @puttfectmeowssg
In case your cat has lengthy hair, you might also need to ship it for skilled grooming each quarter, which prices from $50. Further long-term prices you possibly can count on embody booster vaccinations (from ~$40) as soon as each three years.
Some fundamental cat care ideas:
- Kittens under 7 months previous must be fed round 4 occasions a day with about ¼ cup of kitten meals per feeding.
- Cats above 7 months previous solely should be fed round two occasions a day with about ½ cup of meals every day.
- It’s really helpful to additionally embody moist meals into your cat’s every day weight loss program to make sure it will get sufficient hydration.
- In the event you’re utilizing a water bowl on your cat, wash the bowl and refill with contemporary water as soon as a day.
- For higher hygiene, change out and wash your litter field utterly each two weeks.
- Clear your cat’s poop and clumps from the litter field not less than as soon as a day.
- Quick hair cats must be brushed as soon as every week; medium to lengthy hair cats twice every week.
- Trim your cat’s nails each two weeks if it permits you to. Take care to not reduce its blood vessels.
- Cats don’t actually require baths since they groom themselves usually, however you are able to do so as soon as a month. Keep away from bathing them too typically as it might dry out their pores and skin.
- Use pet-safe wipes or damp cotton balls to scrub their paws, ears, eyes and noses for those who discover residue on it.
Bringing your first cat house
The most important hurdle you’ll most likely face along with your new cat is introducing them to their new life with you.
Fundamental vet checkup (~$45): That is the very first thing you’ll have to do to make sure your cat is wholesome. In the event you’ve adopted a stray, chances are you’ll have to vaccinate it (from ~$40), microchip it (~from $50), and sterilise it (~$150). It’s additionally really helpful to deworm (from ~$5) and deflea (from ~$30) them.
Acclimatising: Relying on how properly your cat adjusts, it could possibly take anyplace from one week to a few months on your cat to get used to your house. One technique to easily transition your cat is to limit it to 1 space of your house for a few week with their litter field, meals, water and toys.
After that, permit them to discover the remainder of your own home, supervised. Allow them to freely roam all of the rooms in your house one after the other, just a few days at a time. A cat that’s snug with its environment will cling round open areas, stroll round with its tail within the air, and know the place to search out its litter field and meals.
Get “furnishings” for cats comparable to cat timber Picture credit score: @kobe.and.mochi
Litter coaching: In case your cat isn’t litter educated, you may have to confine it to this space for an extended time period. To litter prepare your cat, put it within the litter field and let it sniff the litter. In case your cat nonetheless doesn’t use the field, think about altering the kind of litter you’re utilizing.
Scaredy cats: Some cats might react negatively to their new house, particularly people who have beforehand been abused, deserted and uncared for. Your cat might be afraid if it’s continuously hiding below furnishings, refusing to eat, pooping outdoors of its litter field, or hissing and swiping at you.
The very best factor you are able to do is be affected person and provides it time to return to you moderately than attempt to pressure them out of hiding.
Frequent hiccups to count on with a brand new cat: When cats are launched to a brand new surroundings for the primary time, it’s frequent for them to have lack of urge for food, diarrhea, conceal, or show aggression like hissing. If this persists after every week, carry your kitty to the vet in case there are different underlying issues.
It’s also possible to use calming sprays like Feliway (~$33) to assist them destress and ease them into their new house.
Information for first-time cat house owners
Cats undoubtedly make a few of the greatest companions for people. As soon as they settle right into a loving house, caring for them is comparatively straightforward too. Simply consult with this first-time cat proprietor information for those who’re uncertain the place to start out!
Listed here are extra sources for pet house owners in Singapore:
- Pet grooming salons in Singapore
- 24-hour vets in Singapore
- Locations for animal lovers to volunteer at
- Locations to undertake canines, cats & rabbits
- On-line pet shops with supply
Cowl picture tailored from: @save_our_kittens_suffolkpark & @kobe.and.mochi
Please see more summary list Where to buy a cat in singapore ranked by customer satisfaction.