Ceiling followers are a beloved function of many properties, as they supply an inexpensive and infrequently trendy technique to make residing areas extra comfy. They don’t decrease the temperature per se; they create breezes that flow into the air, making you are feeling as much as 4 levels cooler.
At present’s ceiling followers are available a broad number of designs and with a number of options to suit all adorning kinds and existence. Maintain studying to learn to select one of the best ceiling fan in your wants and to search out out why the next merchandise are high picks.
- BEST OVERALL: Honeywell Ceiling Followers Carnegie LED Ceiling Fan
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Prominence Residence Alvina Ceiling Fan
- BEST MODERN: Minka Aire F844-DK, Mild Wave 52″ Ceiling Fan
- BEST RUSTIC: Prominence Residence 51584 Alvina Ceiling Fan
- BEST TROPICAL: Honeywell Sabal Palm 52-Inch Tropical Ceiling Fan
- BEST FOR SMALL ROOMS: Hunter Fan Firm Watson Indoor Ceiling Fan
- BEST FOR LARGE ROOMS: Honeywell Xerxes Ceiling Fan
- BEST FOR LOW CEILINGS: Hunter Sea Wind Indoor/Out of doors Ceiling Fan
- BEST FOR BEDROOMS: Honeywell Ceiling Followers Kaliza Fashionable LED Ceiling Fan
- BEST FOR PORCHES & PATIOS: Honeywell Belmar 52-Inch Indoor/Out of doors Ceiling Fan
What to Take into account When Selecting the Greatest Ceiling Fan
Varied elements go into selecting the best-quality ceiling followers in your residence. A few of these issues are the specified airflow and the scale of the room. As an illustration, when you’ve got rooms with low ceilings, you’ll want low-profile followers. The situation additionally makes a distinction—outside versus indoor fan. One thing straightforward to put in is at all times a wonderful selection. And don’t overlook in regards to the fashion. A mannequin with a incredible design is difficult to say no to.
Take into account the house by which the fan will go. Utilizing the house’s sq. footage, decide the suitable blade span primarily based on room measurement. Blade span measures the size from the top of 1 blade to the top of the opposing blade. Ceiling followers vary from 15 inches to 80 inches throughout. Take into account the next Power Star measurement suggestions:
- As much as 75 sq. ft: blade span of 36 inches or smaller
- 75 to 144 sq. ft: blade span of 36 to 42 inches
- 144 to 225 sq. ft: blade span of 44 inches
- 225 to 400 sq. ft: blade span of fifty to 54 inches
The suitable top for a ceiling fan is 8 or 9 ft, measured from the ground to the fan blades. Take into account the included down-rod size to find out how excessive or low the ceiling fan will sit as soon as put in. For low-ceiling porches, contemplate a flush mount or low-profile fan, which anchors the fan very near the ceiling. For top ceilings, you need an prolonged down rod, which holds the fan decrease for optimum positioning.
The most effective ceiling followers have a excessive airflow effectivity. Airflow effectivity refers back to the quantity of air the fan circulates on the best fan setting measured in cubic ft per minute (CFM). In open outside areas, a excessive CFM performs higher at circulating the air and serving to preserve bugs at bay. A mean CFM for a 52-inch fan is round 4,000 CFM, however this will vary as much as 10,000 CFM.
The variety of blades doesn’t have an effect on a ceiling fan’s CFM; the blade rely is extra of an aesthetic function than a utilitarian one. When deciding on a ceiling fan, contemplate deciding on the next CFM possibility that matches your most popular fashion and funds.
If you happen to usually set your thermostat to 74 levels Fahrenheit, including a ceiling fan would theoretically will let you modify your thermostat as much as 78 levels Fahrenheit with out feeling any distinction. That’s a behavior that may translate into important vitality financial savings, particularly over the long run.
It can save you additional on utility payments by shopping for a ceiling fan/gentle combo that meets the federal government’s Power Star requirements. By deciding on an Power Star fan/gentle combo over a nonrated counterpart, you might save as much as 40 p.c on the fan’s annual working prices.
Many ceiling followers embody built-in lighting or an non-compulsory gentle package. Ceiling followers with out lighting can typically be modified with a appropriate gentle package if it’s desired in a while. LED bulbs are most popular for these fixtures since they surpass incandescent, CFL, and halogen bulbs in longevity and vitality effectivity.
Mild bulbs are available many shapes that provide completely different aesthetics, from spherical, globe-like bulbs to vintage-style Edison bulbs. Brightness ranges (measured in lumens) additionally differ throughout lighting choices. The most effective ceiling followers with lights may have not less than 800 lumens to light up a whole room.
Additionally pay attention to lighting shade temperature. Cool lights are inclined to have a blue hue, whereas heat lights have a yellow hue. Heat lights are usually favored for an outside ceiling fan; it offers the house a pretty glow, versus the stark lighting of cool bulbs.
Ceiling followers are rated for the circumstances beneath which their set up is taken into account to be secure. Remember to select the suitable score if the fan will likely be uncovered to excessive humidity or water splashes.
- Dry rated: These are indoor followers, for set up in household rooms, bedrooms, eating rooms, and different rooms not topic to excessive humidity.
- Damp rated: These ceiling followers will face up to excessive ranges of humidity, akin to is present in a steamy lavatory or laundry room, however they shouldn’t be put in the place they are often splashed with water straight. They might even be utilized in all rooms suited to a dry-rated fan.
- Moist rated: Seeking to preserve cool in your lined porch or patio? You’ll want a wet-rated fan. These followers function sealed motor housing models that may face up to precipitation.
Ceiling followers can be found as primary pull-chain fashions or savvier tech-forward designs. Frequent management strategies embody pull chains, distant controls, wall controls, and good expertise.
- Pull chain: This can be a primary, budget-friendly possibility preferrred for low- to average-height ceilings. These normal fan varieties have hanging pull chains that will let you click on by means of management choices.
- Distant management: These ceiling followers embody a handheld distant that controls the fan inside a detailed vary. This can be a handy choose that permits customers to regulate the fan with out having to rise up.
- Wall management: These fashions have controls just like gentle switches, permitting the person to function the fan from a swap or button on the wall. Whereas much less handy than these with a distant management, there is no such thing as a likelihood of shedding a wall swap. Distant management and wall-switch followers are usually costlier than pull-chain choices. They’re widespread for areas with excessive ceilings.
- Good: Followers with good expertise connect with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and might be managed by an app on a smartphone or different system. Whereas these fashions are usually dear, they’re probably the most handy to function.
For a lot of, ceiling fan aesthetic is simply as necessary as performance. A wide range of designs and finishes can be found to go well with completely different indoor areas. The most effective ceiling followers complement the encompassing decor fashion.
- Fashionable: Clear strains and easy finishes outline the trendy decor fashion—preserve these options in thoughts when selecting a contemporary ceiling fan. Smooth and slim blade designs with a brushed or satin end will slot in with fashionable areas.
- Midcentury: Many modern, fashionable ceiling followers are additionally nicely suited to midcentury areas. Midcentury design favors most of the minimalist parts of the trendy fashion, however it could actually additionally incorporate a retro twist or pops of shade. If the aim is to make an announcement, then funky or geometric-shaped fan blades can add some curiosity to the ceiling decor.
- Industrial: Combining fashionable parts with a lofty fashion, industrial decor is impressed by factories, warehouses, and industrial constructions. Stripped-back particulars like steel beams and uncovered brick contribute to this clear fashion. To go well with the impartial tones and industrial supplies of this fashion, go for metallic, white, grey, or black ceiling followers with modern fan blades.
- Rustic: Rustic decor has an aged, homey, and comfortable really feel to it, that includes pure parts like uncovered picket beams, thick picket furnishings, and distressed textiles. It tends to make use of quite a lot of different picket parts and incorporates an unfinished and nearly gritty look that’s filled with earthy colours. Less complicated wood-grain ceiling followers can slot in with rustic decor. Go for these with a pure or mahogany end for a comfy really feel.
- Farmhouse: Much like rustic fashion, farmhouse design tends to incorporate pure supplies like wooden. Farmhouse aesthetic tends to have a lighter and more energizing really feel than darkish rustic rooms, utilizing conventional designs, lighter wooden grains, and coloured woods. Much like these utilized in rustic rooms, wood-grain ceiling followers give a clear and homey really feel. Impartial wooden and lighter colours loosen up the design, and Edison-style bulbs may also add a captivating attraction.
- Coastal: For a coastal decor fashion, contemplate followers with a pure and beachy look with heat impartial tones. Wooden-style blades and impartial lotions and white or pastels can match ethereal coastal decor. Some coastal-style followers additionally function lighting fixtures that mimic the look of a lighthouse lantern.
- Tropical: Tropical decor is one other nature-inspired decor fashion. Pure supplies and textures skew towards a extra colourful tropical theme. For a extra subdued look, go impartial with supplies like bamboo and rattan, or make an announcement with colourful leaf or flower blade designs or patterns.
Putting in a ceiling fan is a comparatively straightforward process if changing an current gentle fixture. These initiatives usually require instruments akin to a ladder, utility knife, screwdriver, pliers, and an adjustable wrench. You may additionally want a ceiling outlet field, keyhole noticed, or wire strippers.
The essential set up course of entails turning off the facility to the fixture, mounting the ceiling fan physique, connecting the wiring, then attaching the blades to the motor. If any extra wiring is required, enlist the assistance of an electrician. As soon as put in, ceiling followers don’t usually require a lot upkeep apart from common cleansing and dusting.
Our High Picks
Try this checklist of the top-quality ceiling fan fashions in the marketplace. Select the ceiling fan that most accurately fits your house, fashion, and funds.
For an efficient ceiling fan that can be utilized in most indoor areas, the Honeywell Carnegie ceiling fan has a reversible motor that lasts for over 25,000 hours and provides over 4,000 CFM of quiet airflow. Alternatively, the Prominence Residence Alvina ceiling fan is appropriate to be used in smaller areas like places of work and laundry rooms, has a frosted LED gentle, and a reversible motor.
How We Selected the Greatest Ceiling Followers
We researched probably the most sought-after ceiling followers of their respective classes and found that one of the best fashions are decided by their measurement, CFM, versatility, management kind, fashion, and different particular options included by high manufacturers.
Whereas trying to find one of the best choices out there, the most well-liked ceiling lights have fan blades that span from 34 to 62 inches and distribute air at 2,600 to five,400 cubic ft per minute. Many of those picks are made with built-in lighting and are appropriate for dry environments. However, choose picks are made for indoor and outside use in damp or moist environments.
As every product has its personal set of options, every additionally has its personal fashion to match your house with fashionable, midcentury, rustic, and tropical choices included with brushed nickel, alloy metal, and picket constructions. These followers are managed through pull chains, smartphones, or with distant controls.
For extra details about one of the best ceiling fan, take a look at these solutions to a few of the most incessantly requested questions. If extra considerations come up, contact the producer.
Q: What’s the finest airflow for a ceiling fan?
A mean CFM for a 52-inch fan is round 4,000 CFM, however this will vary as much as 10,000 CFM. The upper the CFM, the higher the airflow. The variety of fan blades doesn’t have an effect on a ceiling fan’s CFM; the blade rely is extra of an aesthetic function than a utilitarian one.
Q: What number of lumens does a ceiling fan want?
Search for a ceiling fan with not less than 800 lumens if you wish to illuminate a whole room.
Q: What measurement ceiling fan do I want for a 12-by-12-foot room?
A 12-by-12-foot room is equal to 144 sq. ft. You possibly can select between the next blade spans for an area of that measurement.
- 75 to 144 sq. ft: blade span of 36 to 42 inches
- 144 to 225 sq. ft: blade span of 44 inches
Q: Can a ceiling fan be too large for a room?
Sure. If a room has low ceilings, you’ll need a low-profile fan that installs flush to the ceiling. You wouldn’t wish to hit the fan by accident whereas it’s working.
Why Belief Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. Because the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV collection, together with This Previous Home and Bob Vila’s Residence Once more, he popularized and have become synonymous with “do it your self” residence enchancment.
Over the course of his decades-long profession, Bob Vila has helped tens of millions of individuals construct, renovate, restore, and reside higher every day—a convention that continues right this moment with skilled but accessible residence recommendation. The Bob Vila crew distills need-to-know info into undertaking tutorials, upkeep guides, instrument 101s, and extra. These residence and backyard consultants then completely analysis, vet, and advocate merchandise that help owners, renters, DIYers, and professionals of their to-do lists.
Glenda Taylor is a contract author for the residential transforming, homebuilding, and business roofing industries. She and her husband have been common contractors for over 20 years, and Ms. Taylor has written for main media retailers in addition to Nationwide Affiliation of Homebuilders. Along with her development expertise, Ms. Taylor is a Grasp Gardener, a former actual property skilled, a common design fanatic, and an advocate for inexperienced constructing practices. The recipient of Journalism and Advertising and marketing levels from the College of Kansas and Bauder School respectively, she enjoys life on a farm within the Midwest along with her husband and their 5 Saint Bernards!
Best high airflow ceiling fans for bedrooms ranked by customer satisfaction.